Hyderabad is known as the Pearl City and Mar Gregorios Orthodox Syrian Church now renamed as St. Gregorios Orthodox Cathedral stands as a beacon of light radiating light and refuge for many believers irrespective of religion, cast and creed named after its first patron Saint Gregorios of Parumala. This is one of the earliest churches established outside Kerala. In the beginning a few members of the church came to Hyderabad in the year 1939 along with other Syrian Christian denominations. They formed a united Malayalam Congregation and began worshipping in their own language, liturgy and rites. The first Holy Qurbana was celebrated at the SPG Chapel Secunderabad in the year 1939 by late Rev.Fr. T.I.Joseph. Later St. Andrews Church Society was formed with members of Orthodox and Mar Thoma, since membership of both the denominations increased they formed their own parishes.
The Orthodox parish at Secunderabad was formed in the year 1951 and Rev.Fr. K.K.Mathews ( Late Lamented H. G. Mathews Mar Barnabas ) was appointed as the first Vicar. In the year 1956 H. G. Mathews Mar Coorilos ( Late Lamented H. H. Baselios Mar Thoma Mathews II, Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan ) visited this parish formed a building committee with the aim of purchasing a plot and constructing a church since the services were conducted at the mercy of the local Christian brothers and also subject to the availability of Churches and Chapels after their service. By the Grace of our Lord a plot measuring about 2800 sq. yard near Gandhinagar, Hyderabad was purchased under the able leadership of Rev.Fr. M.T.Easo and the foundation stone was laid on 20th August 1967 by Rev.Fr. G.Ninan. The construction of the church was completed and was consecrated on 2nd November 1969 by H. G. Mathews Mar Athanasios ( Late Lamented H. H. Baselios Marthoma Mathews I, Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metroplitan ) named after the Saint Gregorios of Parumala. In the year 1974 a Cross Tower was built and dedicated in the name of our Apostle St. Thomas. Alternate Sunday services were conducted both at Hyderabad and Secunderabad. It was from August 1st 1992 onwards regular Sunday services started both at Hyderabad and Secunderabad which paved way for an independent parish at Secunderabad St. Andrews Orthodox church in the year 1992.
In the year 1994 the silver jubilee of the church was celebrated and H. H. Baselios Mar Thoma Mathews II installed the Holy Relics of St. Gregorios of Parumala on 18th December 1994 and later elevated the church to the exalted position of a Cathedral on 21st December1994. In the year 2013 under the able leadership of Rev.Fr. Santhosh Samuel the church got a new face lift as the church was renovated and rededicated by H. H. Baselios Mar Thoma Paulose II on 11th April 2013. The year 2016 is an important landmark in the history of the church, a much awaited parsonage complex building a dream project was completed under the able leadership of Rev.Fr. Thomas Oommen was consecrated by our Diocesan Bishop H. G. Dr. Abraham Mar Seraphim on 29th October 2016 and named as Mar Baselius Complex.
There are about 182 members and this parish is blessed to have 4 priests who are born and brought up here, Rev.Fr. Thomas Oommen, Rev.Fr. John Joshbi Thomas, Rev.Fr. Joe Mathew, Rev.Fr. Bijoy Sakhariah, Rev Fr. Simon Joy , Dn Shibin Mathew John and Br Jaison 2nd year student studying at Nagpur Theological Seminary. The spiritual organizations like St. Mary`s league, Sunday School, area prayer meetings, MGOCSM &Youth Movement are very active. Every 4th Sunday we have English service.
St. Gregorios Cathedral is actively involved in the educational field, a registered society known as St. Gregorios Orthodox Christian Society was formed for this purpose and is running two Schools one in the Cathedral campus as St. Gregorios Cathedral School and another St. Mary’s high School at Chilkanagar under the rural education project, providing education to the poor and downtrodden children. May the Lord Almighty provide immense faith and hope to lead the church to Spiritual glory.